Ajax rising star Sergino Dest made Germany trip in case of future Bayern interest
Ajax starlet Sergino Dest has played down talk of an imminent move to Bayern Munich despite being spotted at the Bundesliga giants’ cup clash with Hoffenheim last month.
The 19-year-old USA international has emerged as one of the brightest young talents in the Netherlands this season, making 20 Eredivisie appearances and registering five assists from right-back.
Why was Sergino Dest at a Bayern match? Five things to know…
- Dest has been strongly linked with Bayern having impressed for Ajax this season.
- The teenager was spotted at Bayern’s cup thriller against Hoffenheim last month.
- It was subsequently suggested that he was close to joining the Bavarians.
- However, he claims he was only at the match to “check out” the club in case of future interest.
- Dest also said the trip was made because he has family in Munich.
His exploits in Holland have led to reported interest from Bayern, with the Dutch press suggesting a €25m deal is likely to go through in the summer.
Those rumours intensified last month when Dest was spotted at Bayern’s 4-3 DFB-Pokal victory over Hoffenheim.
Asked about his trip to Bavaria, Dest strongly hinted there is genuine interest but revealed he was not invited to the Allianz by Bayern, claiming he was simply in Munich to “check out” the club.
“I was mainly there because I have family there,” Dest told Ajax Life.
“I thought if Bayern is really going to get interested, I want to know a bit about how the club works. So I thought it would be nice to check it out.
“But it was not that I was invited by Bayern, as suggested. There was nothing else behind it.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Dest has made three appearances for the USA senior national team and is expected to play a major role in the future for his country.
Ajax manager Erik ten Hag has also been linked with a move from Amsterdam to Bayern in recent months.