Much was expected of Bakayoko when he arrived at Chelsea before the 2017/18 season in a deal worth a reported £40m.
The Frenchman made 29 Premier League appearances for the Blues last season but struggled to replicate the form he showed at Monaco, where he played a vital part in guiding the French side to the Ligue 1 title in 2017.
Newly-appointed Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri allowed Bakayoko to complete a loan move to AC Milan this summer, with the club bolstering their midfield options with the signings of Jorginho and Mateo Kovacic.
But Fabinho, who is yet to make an appearance for Liverpool this season, has defended the performances of his ex-midfield partner.
“I don’t think he struggled that much,” Fabinho told Yahoo. “I watched a few games and he seemed always good to me.
“Obviously, in your first season in a new club it’s always difficult and I wasn’t expecting him to leave, but AC Milan are getting a great player.
“I’m sure he’ll be able to prove how good he is and show what he did at Monaco.
“I’m sure if he comes back to England he will be stronger and will show everyone what he’s capable of.”
Were Chelsea right to offload Bakayoko?
The 24-year old has only made one appearance for Milan so far this season after appearing as a substitute in their 3-2 defeat to Napoli last month.
Sarri is said to have been unconvinced by Bakayoko’s ability to adapt to his style of play. Chelsea certainly haven’t missed him so far, having won all four of their opening Premier League matches.
Their next match will take place this Saturday with Neil Warnock’s Cardiff visiting Stamford Bridge.